Jollof rice, a beloved dish in Nigeria and across West Africa, is known for its rich, spicy, and flavorful profile. But have you ever tried enhancing it with mint microgreens? In this post, we’ll delve into the art of cooking Nigerian Jollof Rice, made even more special with the addition of mint microgreens. Not only do they add a refreshing twist to the dish, but they also bring a wealth of health benefits to the table.
Jollof rice is also a staple at parties, weddings, birthdays, and other celebrations. It is often considered a symbol of unity and love among Nigerians.
But what makes jollof rice so special? And how can you make it at home like a pro?
In this post, I will show you how to make the best Nigerian jollof rice with mint microgreens. Mint microgreens are young mint leaves that are harvested after sprouting. They have a refreshing and cooling effect that balances the spiciness of the jollof rice.
Mint microgreens also add a touch of color and freshness to the dish. They are rich in vitamins A, C, E, K, and antioxidants that boost your immune system and digestion.
So if you want to impress your family and friends with a delicious and healthy Nigerian jollof rice recipe, keep reading!
Jollof Rice Ingredients
To make this amazing jollof rice recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of long-grain rice (preferably parboiled)
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon of ginger (grated)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste)
- White pepper or black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of chicken bouillon powder (or vegetable bouillon for vegan option)
- 4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegan option)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 fresh red Scotch bonnet peppers (seeds removed and chopped)
- 150 grams of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- A handful of mint microgreens (washed and drained)
Nigerian Jollof Rice Cooking Instructions
To make this mouth-watering jollof rice recipe, follow these simple steps:
1. Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Add the onion, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, thyme, curry powder, salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon powder. Stir well and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and the oil is well incorporated with the tomato paste.
3. Add the chicken stock, water, Scotch bonnet peppers, and cherry tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
4. Add the rice and stir well to coat with the sauce. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and fluffy. Do not stir or open the lid during this time to prevent the rice from burning or becoming mushy.
5. Fluff the rice with a fork and garnish with mint microgreens. Serve hot with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Cooking The Best Nigerian Jollof Rice
Here are some tips and tricks to make your jollof rice even better:
- Parboiling the rice helps to reduce the starch content and prevent the rice from sticking together or becoming mushy. You can also use basmati rice or jasmine rice instead of long-grain rice for a more fragrant and fluffy texture.
- If you don’t have fresh Scotch bonnet peppers, you can use dried ones or any other hot pepper of your choice. You can also adjust the amount of pepper according to your spice tolerance.
- If you don’t have mint microgreens, you can use any other microgreens that you like or have available. You can also use fresh mint leaves or parsley as a substitute.
- To make your jollof rice more colorful and nutritious, you can add other vegetables such as carrots, peas, green beans, corn, etc. to the rice before cooking.
- To make your jollof rice more filling and protein-rich, you can add cooked chicken, beef, fish, shrimp, tofu, etc. to the rice after cooking.
View this post on Instagram
Follow us for more recipe on our Instagram @ariacres
Jollof rice is a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed by everyone. It is easy to make and customize with different ingredients and spices.
By adding mint microgreens to your jollof rice, you can make it more refreshing and healthy.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and learned how to make the best Nigerian jollof rice with mint microgreens.
If you try this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Also, don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family who love Nigerian food.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!